Ibex[love]

Ibex[love]

Thursday, December 23, 2010

The Van

Steep n' Cheap:
I remember when everyone drove conversion vans instead of SUVs. I'm not sure why they were called 'conversion vans.' Probably because they were commercial vans converted to vans of opulent luxury. The nicer ones would have up to four captain seats, and usually the back bench seat could convert into a bed. They had thick carpeting, electronically controlled drapes, and built-in color TVs that hung from the ceiling. I saw a stat that about 80% of SUV drivers never take their vehicles off road, and I think these people would be happier if they went back to conversion vans.

Not sure why I found this so great? Probably the memories it conjured up of the various vans that dave n' deb had throughout my childhood. As normal, dave's custom 'conversions' go without saying. It wasn't until I was probably 13 or 14 that we got one that actually had a TV, I never remember the set actually working, but that is beside the point. The carbon footprint we left shuttling kids back and forth to ski hills and camping cross-country in those things was worth the memories alone. Now I think we need a sustainable fuel source more than ever just so we can bring back the Van in good conscience. Then again, it may not meet the needs of the new era of 'campers' who need a 58 foot RV so they can bring along their satellite dishes, outdoor patio heaters, and gas powered generators to keep their shitters flushing their cell phones charged?

-DzJr. (<-- That be brother Doug)

No comments:

Post a Comment