Ibex[love]

Ibex[love]

Saturday, June 23, 2012

Work (but it feels like vacation)

Work is AWESOME, even considering the fact that I worked 11 days straight! I've been having the best time with the crew out in the woods. My first week on the job, we camped out with a group of volunteers from the American Hiking Society and took them hiking every day to pick weeds. They were a pretty fun group of folks and we all had a really fun time. Over the weekend, we took a group of high school students out for a camp out and a hike to pick weeds, but they weren't nearly as much fun, and they weren't pumped about the hike at all. I was still glad to be outside though! I worked a little closer to home during my second week, which was kind of nice. I finally got a 3 day weekend, and I've been hiking every day (stay tuned for pictures) and I think I might have to take a break tomorrow.

The first sign of sun on the job! We only had one miserable day
of rain and fog. This is a view from the Gull Rock Trail.

Somewhere in the Chugach National Forest. 

Green Jeans! Well, sort of. My USFS issued pants aren't exactly "low-rise," so I 
cheat and I've been wearing my green-ish field pants. But the rest of it is official! 

The train is the only reason I have to wear this "costume." It totally paid off
though. We got to ride in the cargo hold with the doors WIDE open! 

Spencer Glacier is right behind me. The only way to get to is by the aforementioned train.
The train stops about a mile from the glacier and the only way to get there from the train is on foot. I get to go there to eradicate more weeds next week for a few days. This particular tripwas only a short day trip with the American Hiking Society volunteers.

Spencer Glacier again.

Exit Glacier near Seward. We spent a day in this area pulling weeds,
but we never got closer than this to the glacier.

No comments:

Post a Comment