Ibex[love]

Ibex[love]

Saturday, June 23, 2012

North to Alaska!

2,500 miles and 2 new tires later, I've made it to Alaska! I didn't mean to neglect the blog for so long, but I've been busy as a beaver since I arrived (I haven't had a day off since I got here). The drive up north with Liz was really fun. The weather wasn't awesome, but I think we got lucky and the clouds parted at the most beautiful sections. We got to see most of Jasper and everything from Haines onward.

Jasper

Weeping Wall in Jasper

More Jasper

This is the best part of the Alcan adventure: I ran over a rock in the middle of the road 75 miles north of Fort Nelson (the middle of nowhere in the Yukon) and got a double flat. Thankfully there was a construction operation just a hop, skip and a jump down the road and the brush cutter, Artie, took us down the road to a hunting lodge, where we met Ben, Archie, and Lester. The conversations we had with them was a riot, and their Northern Canadian accents were priceless! This little hang up put us about 5 hours behind schedule, but it worked out nicely anyway because we got to spend the
night at Liard Hotpsrings.


Very flat and very wet.

That's Lester the Rescue Driver!

Our shelter for cooking dinner at Liard.
(This picture was taken after 10 p.m.!)

Eating dinner in the Soobee.

This was anther fantastic part of our journey. Liz and I took a hard left at the Haines Junction and headed a few hours south to the tiny town of Haines to visit our friend Britney. She showed us an awesome time while we were there,and the 2nd wrench in our plans was thrown in. As we were strolling around the town on Friday afternoon, a shop owner (who immediately recognised us as visitors) informed us that the road past the Haines Junction had washed out and it was closed. Liz and I immediately started working on Plan B because if we couldn't leave the next day, I was going to miss a lot of work, and Liz was going to miss her flight from Anchorage. Long story short, I decided to check the road report at  around 1:00 p.m. and it had reopened, so we packed up the car in a rush, and took off. We drove late into the night to make up time, and the sun was shining the entire time. We made it in time for me to start work on my scheduled day, and Liz got to the airport with plenty of time.

On the pass on our way to Haines - I was really cold.

A day late and a few dollars short, we finally made it to Haines!

Liz and me in Haines.

This was taken at about 3:30 a.m. on our stroll home from the bar. 

BIG moose trax!

Leaving Haines where the clouds finally began to end.

Beautiful mountains on Haines Pass

The open road and the sun is shining!

Getting closer!

A dormant volcano in the Wrangell Mountains.
I think it's about 16,000 feet.

Another volcano in the Wrangell Mountains.

Almost there! Notice the time stamp :) 

Stay tuned for more photos! I've been trying to take lots!

No comments:

Post a Comment