Ibex[love]

Ibex[love]

Monday, November 21, 2011

Changing Seasons

I recently noticed that my concept of time here feels skewed. It feels like I've been in Ireland for ages, but at the same time, I can't believe I'm coming up on three months already. I haven't been able to figure out why I still feel sort of jet lagged after this long. Surely enough time has passed that I'd be adjusted to the time difference. Today I finally realised why - SEASONS! The temperature has hardly cooled since I arrived in September, and the daily temperature fluctuation is very small. All the vegetation is still green and shops and houses still have flower boxes full of blooming flowers. There are few trees that change color and shed their leaves. Snow is a rarity here, and I've been told that the entire country shuts down when the occasional flakes fly. It is SO weird to me that the temperature still hovers around 55 degrees fahrenheit and it won't get much colder. Snow is unlikely. Trees will remain green and most of them will keep their leaves. I knew that Ireland does not experience weather extremes, but I did not anticipate how much it would mess with my internal clock. It's just another shock to the body at this point though. I can't wait to get back and see snow. . . . and sunshine!

No comments:

Post a Comment