The trip was quite a learning experience. I learned that Italians love to talk. Well, I knew that, but I was hugely underestimating just how much they love it. It is the city of fast talkers and slow walkers. The vendors love to haggle with prices as well. My capabilities improved by leaps and bounds in just 2 days. I managed to get us an incredibly cheap tour of the Vatican!
Sunrise from the sky on the flight to Rome. Our flight was miserably early and we were still stuffed from Thanksgiving, but it was great to land in Rome midday.

The Coliseum - Quite the spectacle.Part of the floor has been reconstructed here to help visualise what it looked like in its peak.
Gelato after the tour.
Palatine Hill - This was the place where the emperors lived.
Courtyard for games in one of the emperor's palaces.
View from the top of Palatine Hill
Nice door next to the Forum
The last three columns from an ancient building in the Forum. The Forum was a gathering place for markets, trading, socializing, etc.
Monument to Vittorio Emanele - AKA: Altar of the Nation
Zucchini Flowers
Pepper bouquets
Radish and lettuce flowers
Birthday brunch next to the Saturday Market.
Caffélátte vienesse - delish!
Vatican Museums - Beautiful, beautiful artwork.
Pay attention to the table in the next 2 pictures.
The end of the table is facing you wherever you stand in front of it! It's such a neat combination of artwork and math!
One of many frescos. Unfortunately, no photos inside the Sistine Chapel.
This isn't a particularly nice photo, but it's a great example of some impressive art. That surface, if turned upside down, would be a completely smooth half pipe that you could skate board on. Crazy, eh?
Climbing to the top of the dome of St. Peter's Basilica. The camera is straight, the walls are not. There are over 500 stairs to the top, but it was beautiful once you got there!
View from the top of the dome. We could see 2 groups of starlings "dancing" really far off in the distance and it was REALLY cool.
Vatican City from the dome.
Sunset on the dome.
Statue decorating a bridge with a planet (perhaps Venus) in the background.
Castel Sant'Angelo - we didn't have time to go in, but it sure was beautifully lit at night.
The Pantheon
Trevi Fountain
Clock shop somewhere in the streets of Rome.
Leather boots in a vintage clothing store.
Our last pizza. A couple from North Carolina that we chatted with one day told us about this place. They said to get there early because people line up around the block for the pizza. It's true! There was a line forming before it opened, and for a good reason! Best pizza we had while we were there.
per your inspiration, a pair of tall leather boots are on their way to my house as we speak.
ReplyDeleteMy own sort of thrift store, e-bay, baby! and cheap too. I hope I like 'em!
What color is your new hat? I need to know.
inspiring! how could you not buy a little of ALL those beautiful things! i am inspired by the boots too michelle! that pizza looks absolutely mouth-watering!!!!!
ReplyDeleteMargeaux everything looks amazing I am so excited to go!! I love you pictures
ReplyDelete